Goal: The goal of MD course in Medicine is to produce a competent physician who:
- Recognizes the health needs of adults and carries out professional obligations in keeping with principles of National Health Policy and professional ethics.
- Has acquired the competencies pertaining to medicine that are required to be practiced in the community and at all levels of health care system.
- Has acquired skills in effectively communicating with the patients, family and the community.
- Is aware of the contemporary advances and developments in medical sciences.
- Acquires a spirit of scientific enquiry and is oriented to principles of research methodology.
- Has acquired skills in educating medical and paramedical professionals.
- Practice efficiently internal medicine specialty, backed by scientific knowledge including basic sciences and skills.
- Diagnose and manage majority of conditions in his specialty (clinically and with the help of relevant investigations.
- Exercise empathy and a caring attitude and maintain professional integrity, honesty and high ethical standards.
- Plan and deliver comprehensive treatment using the principles of rational drug therapy.
- Plan and advise measures for the prevention and rehabilitation of patients belonging to his specialty.
- Manage emergencies efficiently by providing Basic Life Support (BLS) and Advanced Life Support (ALS) in emergency situations.
- Recognize conditions that may be outside the area of the specialty/ competence and refer them to an appropriate specialist.
- Demonstrate skills in documentation of case details including epidemiological data
- Play the assigned role in the implementation of National Health Programs.
- Demonstrate competence in basic concepts of research methodology and clinical epidemiology; and preventive aspects of various disease states.
- Be a motivated ‘teacher’ – defined as one keen to share knowledge and skills with a colleague or a junior or any learner.
- Continue to evince keen interest in continuing education irrespective of whether he/she is in a teaching institution or is practicing and use appropriate learning resources.
- Be well versed with his medico-legal responsibilities.