The main goal of this course is to train students of Medicine in the field of Medical Microbiology:
- Theoretical as well as practical training is imparted to the candidates in the subspecialties viz. Bacteriology, Virology, Parasitology, Immunology and Mycology so that they can participate in good patient care and prevention of infectious diseases in the community.
- They are introduced to basic research methodology so that they can conduct fundamental and applied research.
- They are also imparted training in teaching methods in the subject which may enable them to take up teaching assignments in Medical Colleges/Institutes.
- Demonstrate competence in clinical aspects as a Microbiologist to improve patient care.
- Demonstrate application of microbiology in different clinical settings to address diagnostic and therapeutic problems along with preventive measures.
- Play an important role in hospital infection control by actively participating in activities of the Hospital Infection Control Committee as a team member.
- Demonstrate competence in recording, advising and guiding use of antimicrobials judiciously for infectious diseases in routine and in special clinical situations and population.
- Demonstrate competence in developing guideline for antibiotic usage, including formulation of antibiotic policy in hospital.
- Demonstrate communication skills required for safe & effective laboratory practice and teaching of microbiology
- Demonstrate skills in conducting collaborative research in the field of Clinical Microbiology and allied sciences which has significant bearing on human health and patient care.
- Demonstrate ability to plan, execute and evaluate teaching and training assignments efficiently and effectively in Microbiology for undergraduate students as per Competency Based Medical Education (CBME).
- Identify public health epidemiology, global health patterns of infectious diseases and effectively participate in community outreach and public health programs for investigation, prevention and control of infectious diseases.
- Demonstrate ability to work as a member of the rapid response team and contribute to investigations of outbreaks of infectious diseases in the hospital and outbreak/epidemic/pandemic in the community
- Demonstrate self-directed learning skills and keep updated with recent advances in the field of clinical microbiology.
- Demonstrate administrative and organizational skills to establish good clinical microbiological services in a hospital and in the community in the field of clinical microbiology
- Demonstrate effective leadership and teamwork skills while working with other members of the health care team in hospital, laboratory and community settings.
- Demonstrate attributes of professional behavior and uphold the prestige of the discipline amongst the fraternity of doctors.
- Demonstrate competence as a clinical microbiologist
- Interact effectively with the allied departments by rendering services in basic as well as advanced laboratory investigations
- Plan, execute, analyze and present the research work in medical microbiology.
- To acquire various skills for collaborative research.
- To participate is various workshops/seminars/journal clubs/demonstration in the allied departments