Goal: The goals of MS course in Otorhinolaryngology / Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) are to produce a competent Otolaryngologist who:
- Recognizes the health needs of ENT patients and carries out professional obligations in keeping with principles of National Health Policy and professional ethics.
- Has the acquired competencies pertaining to ENT that are required to be practiced in the community and that all levels of health care system.
- Has acquired skills in effectively communicating with the patient, family and community.
- Is aware of the contemporary advances and developments in medical science as related to Otolaryngology.
- Is oriented to principles of research methodology.
- Has acquired skills in educating medical and paramedical professionals.
- Theoretical Knowledge: A student should have fair knowledge of basic sciences (Anatomy, Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pathology and Pharmacology) as applied to ENT and be able to integrate such knowledge in his clinical practice. She/He should acquire in-depth knowledge of his subject including recent advances. She/He should be fully conversant with the bedside procedures (diagnostic and therapeutic) and having knowledge of latest diagnostics and therapeutics available.
- Clinical / Practical skills: A student should be adept at good history taking, physical examination, providing basic life support and advanced cardiac life support, common procedures like FNAC, Biopsy, aspiration from serous cavities, lumber puncture etc. She/he should be able to choose the required investigations to enhance the attitude, communication skills, including dealing with patient’s relatives with the required empathy, adapt to changing trends in education, learning methods and evolving new diagnostic and therapeutic techniques in the subject of ENT.
- Research: She/He should know the basic concepts of research methodology, plan a research project, plan and write a thesis and should know how to use library facilities. Basic knowledge of statistics is also required. Knowledge about use of internet resources is required.
- Teaching: The student should learn the basic methodology of teaching and assessment and develop competence in teaching medical/paramedical students and their assessment.